Saturday, December 22, 2007

My goals in US Army War College




My goals in US Army War College

For nine weeks in Carlisle, I have thought about my goals while I study at the Army War College (AWC). I came here with my wife and my son. This is my third time attending a course in the USA, but it’s the first time for my family to come to the USA. Our Carlile Barrack’s sponsor picked us up at Harrisburg Airport and took us to Day’s Inn Hotel. We stayed three days in this hotel before we found a rental apartment close to the post. The first seven weeks, we had an orientation program with 42 other officers from different countries, and this last two weeks we split into seminar groups mixing with the US officers. Despite the busy activities in the orientation programs and our new seminar, there are two areas with goals I will try to focus on, professional and personal.
Professional Goals
Improve the Indonesian Army
I want to improve the Indonesian Army as a payback for what the army had already given me these last 27 years. I noticed several fields that I can improve when I go back to Indonesia. Of course, I will make some adjustments to make it applicable, but I will focus on organization, recruitment and civilians in the military.
The Indonesian Army organization now is in a great need to improve its efficiency and effectiveness in order to be able to cope with the current threat. It is a legacy of the Cold War whose structure and dislocation is based on the threat perception from that time. The rapid deployment forces must be ready to move to at least two different troubled spots on short notice. The forces should be restructured and moved closer to the predicted location, so the troubled spots can be contained giving sufficient time for the main forces to prepare to crush the enemy. The Indonesian Army also needs to spend money smarter. It must conduct thorough evaluation in all administration aspects, including how to control the money spent for housing allowances, how to eliminate dedicated vehicles for the officers and how to eliminate the unnecessary personal assistants.
We also need to improve the recruitment method in the Indonesia Army. What we have now is very orthodox. The recruitment location is in the military office and it’s open for a limited time only. In order to get the best candidate, it would be better if the recruitment locations were also placed in the malls, bus stations, airports or other busy places which attract the youth. The recruitment personnel also need to put advertisements in all available media, such as television, magazines, billboards and newspapers.
To improve the army, we also need committed civilians working in the military unit. Officially, civilians are complementary for the military. But in reality, the military feels it difficult to accept the civilian. So, we have to introduce a new culture working together hand in hand. On the military side, they must be ready to accept the civilian and put them in suitable positions, while on the civilian side, they must be able to show their capability and commitment, and at the same time, learn the army culture.
Improve Indonesian Army War College
The Indonesian Army War College inaugural class began this year. The first batch of officers started in March. The Command and General Staff College has the responsibility to run the course and to prepare the faculty. Most of the lectures come from guest speakers from different institutions. The students are comprised of senior colonels or junior flag officers. All of these officers are projected to get their promotion soon after they graduate from the Indonesian Army War College.
In the future, the Indonesian Army War College will need some improvements in terms of organization, the sources of the students and possibility to get a Masters degree in affiliation with one of the prominent universities in Indonesia. The students will not only come from the Army but also from the Navy, Air Force or civilians. The civilians will need some more time to reach the required level before they can join the course.
Improve the Indonesian and US Army relationship
In previous years, Indonesia and the US had a very good relationship. This relationship deteriorated after President Suharto resigned in 1998. The unstable political situation and accusation of human rights abuses made the relationship more difficult. The US government cut all training and education programs for the Indonesian officers. Even though the military-to-military relationship sank to zero, other personal relationships continued and waited for the right moment to emerge. When the 911 tragedy happened, Indonesia’s president was the first head of state sending its condolences. Soon, a good relationship between the two countries was restored.
The Indonesian and US Army relationship is now back on track. Although not all the training was given back to Indonesia, the speed of the recovery was marvelous. We tried to create another approach, not only in the form of training and education but also in the form of military sales. Lots of military equipment that was embargoed by the US government is now easily delivered to Indonesia.
Maintaining and improving the already good relationship is our task in the future. The US Army as the strongest army in the world will need to have a friend in the biggest Moslem country. The training and education between the two countries will create a mutual benefit. If we are able to nurture it carefully, we will see in the future the mutual respect not only between the two armies but also between the two nations.
On the professional side, in addition to what was already mention, studies in the US Army War College would also preparing me for my the future job in the Indonesian Army. By studying here, I am sure I’ll be ready to work in the multinational staff environment. Sure, I also will get benefits from the strategic program for my own personal improvement.
Personal Goals
Physical Training
At the US Army War College, I would have a good opportunity to do my physical training. It is difficult for me to arrange such a schedule when I was in Jakarta. I plan to have a good workout in the gym, at the same time I enjoy the new rhythm of my life staying at Carlisle Barracks. I really look forward to bringing my body back to good shape like when I was a Captain.
I never imagined that while staying here, I would undergo a total medical check up. I know up to now, I never had a problem with my health. However, I felt a little bit nervous when I got information that the medical check up can predict my health status in the next 5 years based on my present condition. All in all, I am not afraid with my medical check up results, because I am sure this year will become the most precious year in my life.
So, when I get the medical check up results, I will be able to create my own schedule for the physical training completely with the diet program from the expert at the Army War College. I will lose some weight if I follow the instructions closely, and next June at graduation day I will be healthier than June this year.
Academics
I am always asking myself, “What do I want to accomplish on the academic side this year?” I want to explore national security issues to prepare for my future job as a national security expert. In the same time, I want to improve my understanding in the international perspective of culture, economics, politics and their relationship.
As an army officer, I also want to increase my knowledge regarding sister services in order to understand their structure and employment. I also want to enhance my understanding of joint operation forces in the multinational environment.
Family life
This year at Carlisle is a good chance for me to reestablish my relationship with my wife and my son. I had already asked my wife to attend the activities provided by the International Fellows Office, such as the English as Second Language Course and the Conversation and Cultural Club. Everyday, she always tells me the program and the progress she has made; she looks like she enjoys it very much.
My son will go to 9th grade this year. He looks so excited for his new school. Although his school is far from our house, I am not worried because they have a pick up and drop off vehicle which stops right in front of our house. He speaks very good English. No wonder he already made lots of friends and is playing around with his bike.
Multinational Environments
The first day I came to the Army War College, I realized that I would be exposed to the multinational environment. My prediction was correct because I met other foreign students from a total of 42 different countries. We went through the orientation program, including some cultural trips to Hershey’s and Washington DC. It did not take a long time for us to get along, and the relationship between foreign officers had become very close like a big family.
My daily life in Carlisle seems so simple, but it’s really in a multicultural environment. The housing area where we live is comprised of several different countries: to the left is Morocco and to the right is Qatar. The Mongolian, Georgian and Iraqis stay together in the same block right in front of us. It is not surprising that I have improved my English very fast, even my wife and my son are now able to speak English fluently.
A good chance to take a break
Staying one year in Carlisle means I will be off from the routine work I usually have. The whole activity here is totally different. It looks like I have a privilege to recharge my battery. I will use this year wisely, contemplate where my position is now, and try to reflect where my next position is.
It is clear that in order to achieve my professional and personal goals, I need to work hard. I really need to create a good balance between professional goals and personal goals. On one hand, are these professional goals: improve the Indonesian Army, improve the Indonesian Army War College, improve the Indonesian-US Army relationship and prepare for my future job. These will become my cornerstone. On the other hand, are my personal goals: physical training, academics, family life, exposure to the broader multicultural environment and a good chance to take a break. These will be too precious to be ignored. However, I predict that I will be able to achieve these goals based on my observation that I have plenty of good faculty and officers in my seminar.


Col Imam Edy Mulyono
Indonesia




















MY GOALS IN THE US ARMY WAR COLLEGE












COL IMAM EDY MULYONO
SEMINAR 13/ USAWC AY 08

No comments: